Monday, September 5, 2011

Dolly the Sheep

I remember the days when cloning was just a dream, something that I'd watch from a Doraemon episode, somewhere down the road in the future. But that was made possible in July 5th, 1996, the day that the first ever cloned mammal Dolly was born in Scotland.


Now that we've mastered cloning, some are aiming for a new kind of technology. Using stem cells to revive animals near extinction. One of the probably candidates is the Northern White Rhinoceros. Only seven of this species are alive now. This never fails to amaze me to what we have done to our planet, this is the fate that many animals will endured or have already endured, like the popular known passenger pigeons.



The stem cells will be used as a last resource, but I hope we will rarely need to use that kind of technology again. The whole aspect of using stem cells and cloning gives me the chills and feels entirely unnatural. I hope that we will never have to stare at the stuffed corpse of the animal in some museum but we will be able to touch the living animal's hide or fur and remember what a beautiful creature that it is to share this Earth with us.

No comments:

Post a Comment